Working for BBA means being part of a team of talented people who have the passion to succeed and the drive to excel in order to provide first-class service to clients.
Recognized for its extensive field experience and cutting-edge expertise, BBA has been delivering a comprehensive range of consulting engineering services for 40 years, from studies and design to commissioning and operational support. Our firm is supported by a network of offices across Canada to carry out mandates at the local, national and international levels.
BBA provides a stimulating and friendly working atmosphere. We focus on building teams with complementary talents and provide employees with a work environment conducive to developing their skills.
BBA is a Canada's Best Employer recipient from Kincentric and is part of the prestigious Platinum Club of the Best Managed Companies, which unites companies that have held onto their title for over six consecutive years. For BBA, making the list speaks to the rigour of our practices and our unique approach to employee and client relations.
To find out more about BBA, follow us on LinkedIn and connect with our talent acquisition specialists.
Type of position: Regular
The Rock Mechanics Engineer-in-Training will be responsible for applying rock mechanic principles to surface mining, underground mining, and civil construction.
The successful candidate will provide rock mechanics / geotechnical engineering services and task execution, working with experienced geotechnical professionals keen on sharing knowledge for continued development.
Responsibilities will include the following:
• Rock Mechanics applications, ranging from field mapping, geotechnical core logging, and rock mass characterization, to rock stability assessment and reinforcement design.
• Technical management and coordination of geotechnical site investigations, supervision of investigation activities, laboratory materials testing and preparation of technical reports
• Review and supervision of civil/geotechnical related construction activities
• Terrain and slope hazard assessments, mapping and reporting
• Geotechnical engineering analysis including slope stability, seepage and deformation analysis
• Participation and collaboration with multidisciplinary project teams, including ensuring the technical quality of deliverables
• Travel to project sites within Canada and occasionally overseas
• Ability to maintain positive peer relationships
• Ability to learn on the fly
• Degree in engineering geology, geotechnical engineering, mining or other related field. Post-graduate degree is an advantage.
• Eligible for registration as an Engineer-in-training (EIT) with Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec.
• 1 - 3 years of relevant professional geotechnical engineering experience
• Strong academic background and solid understanding rock mechanics. Soil mechanics background is an asset.
• Familiarity with geotechnical design software, such as Rocscience software suite, FLAC, and other geotechnical software is an asset
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, technical writing experience as well as presentation skills is a must
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a team
• Ability and willingness to travel to project sites
• Bilingual, English and French