The Historic Waste Program Management Office (HWPMO) of the Canadian Nuclear Laboratories is responsible for the administration of the Port Hope Area Initiative (PHAI) within the Municipality of Port Hope and the Municipality of Clarington. The project is Canada’s commitment to remediate historic low-level radioactive waste as well as historic industrial chemical waste from the region.
PHAI is the largest environmental remediation and restoration project in Canadian history involving full-scale construction remediation of multiple commercial, industrial, public lands, residential, and marine impacted sites across the region. It includes purpose built Waste Water Treatment Plants, long-term waste management landfill operations, demolition, excavation, drilling/coring, road work, marine construction and dredging, residential construction, and all associated project coordination, delivery and oversight logistics. The project is a high profile visible public initiative within the community sponsored by Natural Resources Canada. CNL is leading the project on behalf of Atomic Energy Canada Limited. The successful candidate will be participating in one of the most complex, historic, rewarding, and exciting construction remediation projects in Canadian history.
CNL has a strong safety culture imbedded in its core operating principals, and the project’s current safety performance exceeds industry performance rates. Canadian Nuclear Laboratories is one of Canada’s 'Top 100 Employers’ and is recognized for its strong employee recognition programs and commitment to community support.
• Complete compliance monitoring on OHS related project activities against CNL and contractor specific programs, plans and procedural requirements through formal and informal oversight inspection and auditing.
• Provide expertise, support and assistance on the development, implementation and monitoring of project specific OHS programs, plans, risk registers, and management system components including policies, procedures, work instructions.
• Complete contractor OHS program and plan reviews as part of tender and contractor selection processes specific to project needs and requirements.
• Proactivity recognise and encourage positive workplace OHS practices, and compliance to program and legislative requirements by project delivery personnel and contractors.
• Complete in-field observations to identify and follow up on non-compliance, areas for improvement and other such gaps related applicable laws, regulations, contract commitments and CNL internal corporate requirements.
• Collaboratively interact with colleagues and project team members, site superintendents, supervisors, contractors, and other parties involved in project activities to help identify solutions to OHS compliance and program gaps.
• Collect records, complete trends reviews, and help investigate and follow up on non-compliance observations, loss or no-loss incidents.
• Prepare detailed reports and follow up on recommended corrective actions associated with completed compliance & oversight reports, incident reports, observations, and root-cause analysis recommendations.
• Complete risk assessments and job hazard assessments in support of CNL Integrated Work Control program and Engineering Change Control programs.
• Document/record safety data pertaining to project oversight activity including entering/transcribing oversights information through various internal CNL information management systems according to established procedures.
• Support overall HWP OHS program improvement initiatives.
• Other duties as assigned by the Manager, Safety, Security and Emergency Preparedness or by the integrated Project Manager.
• At least 3-5 years of OHS experience in an equivalent role within complex nuclear, construction project, heavy manufacturing, industrial processing, mining, oil&gas, or other civil or environmental remediation experience. Experience within a radiation safety and/or protection setting is an asset but not required.
• Technical & practical OHS knowledge, including competent person and/or train-the trainer credentials, on various topics such as hoisting & rigging, ground disturbance, boring/digging/coring, fall protection, excavation and trenching, marine Safety, heavy equipment operation, emergency & hazardous material release response, electrical safety, confined space.
• Detailed practical knowledge of Canadian provincial and federal OHS legislative requirements, compliance frameworks, standards and industry best practices.
• Exceptional communication skills, well developed listening skills, and ability to interpret business and/or client needs as part of OHS compliance oversight effort.
• Outstanding communication and organizational skills, with high attention to detail and ability to tailor communications to mixed audiences.
• Outstanding relationship management, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills
• Exceptional ability to solve problems through soft and hard analytical skills.
• Experience completing OHS risk registers, hazard assessments, JHA/JSA, and developing or working with behavior based safety programs.
• Working knowledge of root-cause analysis principals and tools such as Apparent Cause Analysis (ACA), Root Cause Analysis (RCA), and other safety analytical tools.
• Ability to maintain and grow safety knowledge including industry best practices and pending changes in legislation.
• College diploma or university degree within an OHS or related field from an accredited Canadian or international program.
• Possess, or has ability to possess, professional credentials in OHS, such as CRST, CRSP, NCSO or other internationally recognized designations like the CSP or CMIOSH.
• Must have a valid Ontario Class G vehicle driver’s license
• Physically fit and able to be physically active (standing, walking) for many hours a day. Able to manage stairs, ladders and other egress equipment to enter all site and building areas including potential confined spaces, uneven and graded terrain. Able to use personal protective equipment including a tight fitting respirator (full and half-face) as needed.